Friday, March 30, 2012

Getting the look down

Even though none of the colours on the objects are final, I experimented a bit with the look of the shots:


Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Minor updates

I'm at the stage where it feels like very little is happening, but I just have to keep going at it. I can slowly start to see the light at the end of the tunnel! I've been continuing to flesh out the neighbourhood streets...

...And I've started modeling out Dan's monkey sidekick...







A big part of the work on this project is working out solutions to the many problems and creating a pipeline. I figure the more I work out now, the less problems there will be later. I'll have a tutorial up soon based on some of my new findings.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

The look is getting there...

The street still has a lot more to add, but I thought I'd stop for now and do some test renders with everything together. I think it's giving me a clearer idea of where to go with the look.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

 Not too much to say for today. I added some extra joints to better control the jacket so it won't pass through the body.

I've also continued to build up the neighbourhood Paul and Dan live in.


Tuesday, March 6, 2012

All of the characters have heads that are fairly two dimensional, meaning that while the body is full 3D and can be viewed from any angle, the head is limited to certain angles before it starts to look strange. So to prevent limiting the angle too much, I needed to create a second head that can be swapped with a switch.
 After a while of trial and error, I finally got everything to work smoothly. The mouth, eyes, and eyebrows are all the same model, only shifted and flipped to line up with the head. I have to admit, it worked better than I thought it would!
 I finally added the controls to swap the mouth cards and all the switches to change expressions. I figure I'll leave Dan like this for now and move onto other things. It feels like I've spent way too much time already on him alone.




I finally started on the neighbourhood. I'm slowly blocking in the locations of everything and how it will relate to each other, though the final models won't be too much more detailed than this. Below you can see a test render, something close to what the final will look like.


Monday, March 5, 2012

Getting started


I've already modeled Dan, the villain, so now comes the nightmarish task of rigging. Even though the goal is a simple character, I still find rigging to be one of the hardest parts. I've used a script to generate the joints, so I just had to line them up and the script does the rest...







...everything but the weight painting. For those who don't know, weight painting is probably the most tedious part of creating a character. It involves painting in black and white a map to control how the model will be effected by the joints.








As you can see, the leg is coming along nicely... but his jacket is a whole other story...

















Well, I'm sure I'll get it eventually...